Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Feathers & Birds Oh My


Well this may be a blog primarily for yarn discussions, but I must share about my feathered friend who is staying with me for a few weeks. Her name is Coconut and she is a parakeet. If you read my blog and see the pictures, you will know that I have a poodle named Lexe who thinks she is the Queen Bee! And, this bird is in HER HOUSE!!! Not a good place for the bird. Thank goodness it is in a cage and hanging on a plant hook out of reach. The bird likes it up high anyway--she did live in trees or at least her ancestors way, way back lived in trees. My neighbor had to leave for two weeks so I volunteered to help her out and take care of her pets which included this bird. Somewhere in my distant childhood I remembered having a parakeet named Bill who made no noise at all. Well, this one chatters on and on usually in the mornings but otherwise she is well behaved. I'm calling her a 'she' cause according to the guidelines, the area above her beak is brown so that means she's a girl. It would be blue for a boy. Anyway, it is entertaining but not enough to slow down my crocheting. I did learn though that budgie is a more common term for parakeets so in case you want to learn more, you can search on the Web under either term and get tons and tons of stuff. I personally do not think birds should be kept in captivity but since this one is already captured, it has a home with me. Thank goodness she didn't have any spiders or snakes--I would have to draw the line!

No comments: