Saturday, December 22, 2012

Almost 2013

Well, it has certainly been a warm December.  Today is the first day that we have had temperatures cold enough to remind us that it really is December. It was too cold for Shaunti to be out chasing her Frisbee...and that's cold...for her maybe 40 degrees.  She's a bit of a wimp!  Most days it has been in the 50's but we shouldn't complain since it keeps the heating bills lower.  Lower is a relative term since heating oil costs more than gasoline.  Currently it is going for about $4.75 a gallon.  Whoosh!  I think about that whenever the furnace comes on with a whoosh!   Glad to have the furnace working, since we are home for the holidays.  I will be spending my time crocheting on the afghans for the HAP charity.  So far I've put together 92.  While my hands are busy, it gives me time to reflect on how fortunate I am to be living in a time with so many advances in technology and health care which has extended our life expectancy into the 80's.  Sometimes I think we lose track of just how fortunate we are to live in the USA.  And now, we are all wringing our hands about the Congressional inaction on resolving the 'fiscal cliff.'  I thought we elected adults to represent us and do what is best for everyone.  Since we can't make them be responsible, I guess we just have to hope they realize how ridiculous they are behaving and do the right thing.  Seems reasonable to me that the very rich should pay more taxes than the less rich and especially when the expenditures exceed the revenue.  The only way the government increases its revenue is through taxes so.....come on Congress....be brave and vote YES.   Sorry for ranting but it seems like such a simple solution.

No comments: