Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shawls for the Holidays



Well, once I get started I go to town.   I made all five of these shawls in about a week and used up lots of stash.  All the Lion Glitterspun, all the Paton's Brilliant Gold, a Caron Soft Bone, one 4 oz skein of Red Heart Painted Desert, a skein of Red Heart Eco in mushroom, and 2 skeins of Red Heart White.  Just to let you know that I mix and match as appropriate.  They are lovely and I am keeping the middle one for me.  It is brownish with gold glitter and the painted desert gives it a southwest appearance.  Very pretty.  The others I will donate to a convalescent center near me.  I'm sure the ladies will feel special when wrapped in something lacy and warm.  It is the Lion Brand Doily Shawl pattern and is a delight to make.  You can use any yarn weight and any hook size.  The size and weight will determine the length and width of the shawl.  Since I like larger yarns, I used a P hook and doubled the strands.  The beauty of the pattern is that you can mix the strands as you go and it still comes out lovely as demonstrated in the brown/painted desert one.  I love the pattern and will probably make lots more. ade all five of these shawls in about a week and used up lots of stash.  All the Lion Glitterspun, all the Paton's Brilliant Gold, a Caron Soft Bone, one 4 oz skein of Red Heart Painted Desert, a skein of Red Heart Eco in mushroom, and 2 skeins of Red Heart White.  Just to let you know that I mix and match as appropriate.  They are lovely and I am keeping the middle one for me.  It is brownish with gold glitter and the painted desert gives it a southwest appearance.  Very pretty.  The others I will donate to a convalescent center near me.  I'm sure the ladies will feel special when wrapped in something lacy and warm.  It is the Lion Brand Doily Shawl pattern and is a delight to make.  You can use any yarn weight and any hook size.  The size and weight will determine the length and width of the shawl.  Since I like larger yarns, I used a P hook and doubled the strands.  The beauty of the pattern is that you can mix the strands as you go and it still comes out lovely as demonstrated in the brown/painted desert one.  I love the pattern and will probably make lots more.

No comments: