Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Red Shrug


Well it is Saturday already. I don't know where the time goes. I've now been retired 11 months and it has been a wonderful time. I am loving the freedom to do what I what when I want to do it which usually means getting up at 10ish and going to be at midnight. No alarm clocks to jar me awake--not that that ever worked very well anyway. Yesterday I got up bright and early to meet a friend for a day of 'girly stuff' which involved visiting a lovely yarn shop, lunch, and a movie. It was fun. I had to be on the train by 9 a.m. to get to the other end where she was picking me up at 10 so I was up by 7:30 a.m.--the time I usually got up for work and the time I usually caught the train for all those years. Yesterday it was fun! So I'm ready to do it again. We talked with the owner of the shop and found out about some new yarn by Berroco "Comfort Sock" which makes up beautifully. She had made a hat and I bought some to make a cover for my Senseo coffee maker. She suggested to just use the hat pattern for a cloche-type hat and make it long enough to cover the base so that's what I'll try doing. In the meantime I figured out the pattern for the shrug--I made the collar wider so it didn't bunch up in back when I sewed the sides of the collar to the sides of the back. Once I figured it out, the shrug is lovely and I'm making another one. So, my apologies to Lion Brand's customer support for my complaint. I did send them a note and a review of the pattern so my conscience is clean. I'm all excited now to go on ravelry.com and set up my project notebook so I can list my stash and see just what I have. I am so lucky to have such a fun hobby. Lots of yarn to use but since I keep adding to it, it will always be available. Fortunately, there is no expiration date on yarn. If there was, my closet would be really smelly. Ha! Life is good!

1 comment:

Vic-Jo-Rob said...

Smelly?! Tragic would be more like it! Can you imagine what it would feel like to trash all those skeins if there were an expiration date? I would be in bed for weeks.

I had fun too.