Thursday, December 25, 2008

Beach Coverup Needed Soon


Just in the nick of time. St. Nick or otherwise. A very Merry Christmas to all! I finally finished the coverup and it is quite nice even though it is heavier than I had expected. This is due to my selection of the yarn and not to the pattern. Just to be clear the pattern is perfect, it was my decision to use the lighter weight yarn thus making it necessary to double the yarn to match the pattern gauge. It is lovely but more like a dress than a beach coverup. It will be worn as both. The lesson learned here is that when using a different yarn than what is called for be sure it is of a similar weight and texture. Doubling the yarn is not a good idea. So, lesson learned. Today is a beautiful day. Sunny and about 50 degrees. A perfect day for all the kids who received new bicycles or any outdoor toy. I remember most Christmases were too warm to wear the new wool pants and sweaters that I 'just had to have' so I had to ooh and ah over them and then put them away until a colder day. There were always cold days so all was not lost. Now, I am always dreaming of warmer days on a lovely white beach....soon I will be there and wearing my new coverup. For now though it is time to cook the turkey.

2 comments:

Vic-Jo-Rob said...

Love the coverup. The colorway is gorgeous and will suit your complexion well. I do agree with your comments about yarn substitution, since I am having my own private hell with a pattern. Enjoy the trip.

Vic-Jo-Rob said...

You are not alone when it comes to swatching. Check this out:
http://purlfriend.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-knitters-hubris.html